Dougarie Estate dates back to the mid 19th century when the then Duke of Hamilton chose Dougarie to build his Summerhouse. (Their main island residence was Brodick Castle). Various farms and cottages were added over the years. Dougarie Lodge was built in 1865 and various outbuildings added over the following 50 years.
Good fishing at Iorsa Water
before it flows into the Kilbrannan Sound
the distinctive boat house
heading north again...past this roadside graveyard south of Pirnmill
we are now approaching
the village of Pirnmill
with pretty flowers
the old former pirnmill that gave the village it's name...it used to make bobbins for the huge Paisley thread mills.
the popular Lighthouse Restaurant
some new housing
and this new very basic church...
that's kind of interesting...with so many of the fine old stone churches now converted to some other purpose...
while Pirnmill may not be as postcard pretty as most of the other Arran villages...